Monday, May 13, 2013

Why Do I Need A Budget, Can't You Just Quote Me?



Philadelphia, New York & New Jersey Video Production Services
So you've finally decided to bite the bullet and add that long over-due web video to your company's site . We live in a video world and now is the time to take that ride.  But where do you start?  You say to yourself, I don't know anything about video, don't they just press record and voila I have the perfect marketing tool for my Youtube page?  I'll just send it out into the cyber-space, my Facebook buddies will all "LIKE" it and even my mother will think I look great. Hey, I discovered, I'm not a bad actor either!  So you Google a bunch of places to choose from, talk to a bunch of people and they keep asking you for your budget.  You think, can't they just quote me?  Well, not really.  Really? Why not?  Here's why not.  

Video production comes with such a host of variables (camera type, crew, talent etc.) it might be better trying to win the Pick 4 then trying to decipher all the options.  That's where we come in.  Sure I could quote you the stock, it'll be this much for this.  I'll edit something, toss in a title and voila, there's your video!  But you say to yourself when all was said and done, well that's kinda nice, but it's not exactly what I was thinking.  Well, of course not.  How could I possibly know what you are thinking if you don't share it with me, especially where your budget is concerned.   Instead of being a part of the process you just let someone else be the process, which is why it's important to understand the process.  

Having a budget might actually save you money, will produce a better video and in turn get you more business.  But, I really don't want to spend a lot you say...sure, no one does, but if you have a budget in mind we can work together to find the right options to fit your needs.  Otherwise it can be one big guessing game trying to determine what you envision and how to make that happen.  There's a big difference between, "I have $500 to spend" and $5000 to spend.

Let's say you do want to produce a short Web video to enhance your site, show off what you or your products do, etc.  and you happened to have a budget of $20,0000.  I'd quicker say, hey this isn't a broadcast commercial, no need to spend so much and here are a variety of thoughts on how to best use what you have.  Like, let's take a percentage of that $20K to get your feet wet and produce a nice,  sharp, one-minute video to liven up your site.  Another option might be to produce a series of videos that can be used in your marketing throughout the year and drive traffic to your site. Still, another option might be to produce a video that can be used on the Web and even used as a Cable commercial with a large portion of your budget going to the strategically planned Ad-Buy.  Cable is much cheaper than people realize and can often get you a lot of bang for your buck. 

Inversely, if you ask me to just quote you, I'm left guessing.  Can they afford to shoot on a high end camera?  Do they want professional talent or do they plan on using their friends and family?  What kind of production value do they really want?  Sure I can ask all these questions and quote you with the answers received, but again several variables exist.  Just as there are Local, Regional and National commercials of variable quality, so too are there variables for your video.

A big budget does not always make for a great video and sometimes less IS more and often forces creativity, like a great Indie flick or that simple Youtube video you liked on Facebook.  Ask yourself, is the three-minute video I envisioned on my site really what I need?  "I mean, the longer my video the better, right?"  "If it's longer I'm getting more."  

Well, maybe that elusive budget is better spent making a nice, sharper, one-minute video that will shine, than a lower quality three-minute bore that just takes up space with lesser production value and no story.  Attention spans are scarce these days and you should always shoot for the highest quality you can afford.  Video is forever, why not make it nice?

So, having options and a sense of where you are jumping off from is important.  It immediately identifies what level of production you are comfortable doing or can afford,  then we can work together with some cost-effective options pending on your vision.

So, when you decide you are ready to take the plunge to make that great video, don't be afraid to share your thoughts and especially your budget, you might be surprised how much more you actually get.

BLUEYE | PRODUCTIONS
www.Blueyeproductions.biz
Blueyeproductions@yahoo.com
ph: 917-749-4583



No comments:

Post a Comment